Excited is a bit of an understatement when I saw that my favourite local restaurant (the Good Egg in Stoke Newington) was posting some of their recipes on Instagram. Lockdown just got a lot better.
If you're a fan of middle eastern food check them out . They also have a restaurant in Soho, but for me the Stokey one is the special one (although I might be slightly bias it is at the end of my road).
The first recipe I tried was their roasted butternut squash hummus. DELICIOUS. Hummus taken to a new level.
It is best for make it advance as it isn't the quickest thing to make as you need to roast the squash but the recipe itself is super easy.
1 butternut squash
400g chickpeas, rinsed & drained
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp ground coriander
1/2 tsp cayenne
1 garlic clove
1/2 juice of lemon
1 tbsp of olive oil
- Combine the cumin, coriander, paprika, turmeric & cayenne in a bowl with the olive oil to make a paste.
- Cut the squash in half lengthways and score each side diagonally c.1cm deep.
- Spread on the spice mix & roast in a pre-heated oven (180c) for 40 mins. Once done let cool slightly.
- Add the rest of the ingredients to a food processor along with the squash & some seasoning. Blitz until smooth.
- I topped with some dukkah (optional). Could also add whatever seeds you have - sesame, pumpkin seeds would be fine too.